18 April 2009

And then there were four

We put Zoe to sleep this morning. She was 15 and so thin and wasted - it had been a very long time since she was able to do more than eat, sleep and growl. Her whiskers were falling out. She still hadn't grown back the hair on her paw from where she was shaved last summer after a blood sugar collapse.

We were with her while she died. The vet will normally put a catheter in and then administer the drug while you are there with the pet, but her veins were in such terrible shape and her blood pressure and circulation were so bad that they couldn't get a catheter in.

We ended up having to hold her down while the vet injected the drug directly into a vein in her thigh. She struggled but she didn't have much fight left in her. Pretty quickly her head started to droop and then her heart stopped and I could tell from her eyes that she had left us. I wish I could believe in heaven so I could believe that that's where she went. I guess I will have to content myself with knowing that she is the earth's pet now.

old_hair_bedhead

Oh Zoe. I miss how you used to groom my hair until it was soaking wet and disgusting. I miss how you wanted to be on my lap and purr even when it was 95 degrees out. I miss playing baseball with you - you had such good aim batting away toys. I miss you curled up on my chest, purring for hours while we both napped. I miss the funny little hairs between your toes. I miss your people-food-stealing mischievousness. I miss you. I know it's better that you aren't in pain all the time now. I know we made the right, kind decision. But it's still hard.

Zoe_bow

Update: I love this picture of baby Zoe and baby Dave. Kittens together.

10 comments:

Rooie said...

Ah, Cara, I'm so sorry. But perhaps Zoe's off somewhere, curled in a spot of eternal sunshine, next to a bowl of always-sweet cream...

Unknown said...

I'm sorry -- even though it's been a while coming it doesn't hurt any less when it happens. Will be sending warm, purry thoughts to you and Dave and the kitties.

Sue Dickman said...

This made me all teary. I'm so sorry about Zoe. It sounds awful all around and at the same time that you made the right decision. I hope you will keep remembering Zoe in all her Zoe-ness and let the other four continue to entertain and love you best. What a sad day.

Mike said...

Cara, we're so sorry to hear this. She sounds like she was a sweetheart.

Our thoughts are with you guys. Tough times lately for all of us. :(

Lisa said...

Aw, I'm so sorry, Cara. Even knowing you did the right thing for her doesn't make it easier, but you really did. She had a good life and she was loved, and you saved her a lot of confusion and discomfort. Give the other four kitties extra kisses, and some for Dave too.

Katharine Weber said...

We love them so much. You did the right thing for her, letting her go. She was a wonderful cat and she had a good life. She trusted you both to take care of her and that is exactly what you did.

Kitt said...

Oh. So sad to lose such a good friend.

Becky Malaria said...

You guys made a really tough decision and it's not any easier knowing it was the right one to make. Poor old gal, I'm glad you got to be with her. I think there's a kitty heaven even if there's no people heaven. That's logical, right?

Meredith said...

Oh, Cara, I only just read this - I'm so sorry for you and Dave. It's the worst decision in the world to have to make, even when you know it's the only right decision. Hugs to you both, and to all the other kitties.

Mike said...

Zoe was the best.